When shopping for furniture, it’s important to be educated and informed. Two well-known brands in the furniture arena are Flexsteel and La-Z-Boy. Wondering how these two furniture industry powerhouses compare? Alamosa Home has the details.
Flexsteel and La-Z-Boy Company Histories
Flexsteel opened their first factory in 1893. Though technologies have changed, their dedication to craftsmanship is as strong as ever. Flexsteel believes people, not machines, make the best furniture. You’ll find their namesake Blue Steel Spring at the core of their upholstered seating. Herbert T. Bertsch was the visionary who decided to use a unique, all-riveted blue steel base spring to differentiate their furniture from competitors. The spring was developed by Swiss inventor E.W. Schlappritzi for European railroad car seating. Flexible yet sturdy, it’s designed for lifetime-guaranteed durability. Flexsteel furniture comes from all across the United States and the world.
Since 1927, La-Z-Boy has continuously expanded its product offering while remaining true to the elements of quality and innovation that began with its recliner roots. Their innovative spirit started over 85 years ago with the all-American invention of the world’s first reclining chair. La-Z-Boy Residential is the world’s leading manufacturer of reclining chairs and one of the nation’s largest producers of upholstered sofas, loveseats, chairs and ottomans, Today, La-Z-Boy employs thousands of dedicated workers in manufacturing facilities across North America, and nearly all of their furniture is built in the U.S. from domestic and imported materials.
Flexsteel and La-Z-Boy Product Lines
Flexsteel is comprised of three divisions – Home, Business, and Recreation. Flexsteel began with manufacturing upholstered furniture including sofas, loveseats, and sleeper sofas. Recreational furniture was incorporated in the late 1970’s with Flexsteel furnishing the entire seating and sleeping package for General Motor’s popular motor homes. In 2003, Flexsteel purchased DMI Furniture, Inc., a design, manufacturing and marketing company offering home bedroom and dining room furniture and commercial office furniture. DMI Furniture also carries a ready-to-assemble line of kitchen, dining, bedroom, home office, and outdoor products under the brand name Home Styles.
La-Z-Boy is best known for their recliners, chairs, sofas, sectionals, loveseats, and ottomans. In addition to upholstered furniture, La-Z-Boy manufactures a variety of tables including entertainment consoles, cocktail tables, and end tables. La-Z-Boy also carries lines for Spas and Hot Tubs as well as the La-Z-Boy Outdoor Collection of furniture. Today, La-Z-Boy Incorporated is a manufacturer, marketer and retailer of upholstery products and a marketer of imported or manufactured wood furniture products. La-Z-Boy’s brands consist of La-Z-Boy Residential, Hammary Furniture, American Drew, England Furniture, and Kincaid Furniture.
Flexsteel offers a variety of upholstery to fit your needs. From soft and supple leather, fabrics in all colors, blends, and patterns, to virtually child-proof materials, your selection options are vast and varied.
1. Fabric – a cozy brushed twill. A wonderfully soft chenille. A durable and vibrant polyester blend. These are just a few of the hundreds of fabric options available. Add design accents such as a contrasting welt, a unique pillow fringe or braid, and create a look all your own.
2. Leather – no two pieces of Flexsteel’s leather are exactly alike; variations and marks occur naturally. As leather stretches to fit your body, it will develop a patina and comfort lines where you regularly sit.
3. NuvoLeather – an eco-friendly performance fabric that uses recycled leather to create an environmentally safe and cleanable product with the feel, weight and durability of leather.
4. Kashmira – a special brand new fabric, the result of years of intensive research and development to create a truly family-friendly material. Designed to be easy-to-clean, with a super soft texture and outstanding durability. Kashmira is practically pet and child-proof, food spills clean easily, ink and marker wipe away, and liquids bead on the surface.
La-Z-Boy offers 900 fabrics and leathers. No matter what style of furniture you select, your piece can be upholstered in an unending choice that ranges from fabrics in all colors, textures and patterns to supple leather.
1. Fabric – the choices of fabrics abound. From nautical to nature as well as solid prints to bold florals, customizing your furniture to fit your home is easy.
2. Full Aniline Leather – made in America with U.S. and imported raw materials, these handcrafted premium leathers are treated with Aniline dye to preserve the natural, rustic beauty that makes each upholstered piece unique.
3. Authentic Leather – authentic leather is elegant, supple and durable. It takes more than 10 different tanning processes to create that silky smoothness. Pure, transparent dyes bring out leather’s unique characteristics and markings and create dramatic color variations.
4. Renew Leather – this is an exciting new concept in upholstery coverings. Created using recycled scrap leather, Renew mimics the look and feel of leather while helping protect the environment.
5. Performance Fabrics – made from microfiber, Performance Fabrics offer superior stain and fade resistance, long-lasting durability and can be easily cleaned.
We encourage you to stop into our Alamosa location at 630 Main Street, Alamosa, Colorado to test out the products in person. As always, our educated Team is here to help you with your furniture selection and we even offer free design services!